According to a recent survey by Jobberman, a leading Nigerian job portal, 65% of job seekers struggle to tailor their resumes to specific job requirements. By following these expert-backed tips, you can streamline your job search and land your ideal role without the stress.
- Polish Your Resume: “Your resume is your personal marketing tool,” says Adewale Omotosho, a career coach based in Lagos. “Quantify your achievements, use relevant keywords, and tailor it to the specific job you’re applying for.” Customise each resume to highlight your skills and experiences that align with the role’s requirements.
- Network, Network, Network: “Networking is crucial in Nigeria,” advises Chioma Ekeh, a human resource professional. “Attend industry events, join professional associations, and connect with professionals on LinkedIn.” Follow up with new contacts after events to maintain relationships and expand your network.
- Utilise Online Job Portals: Myjobmag Beshortlsited and LinkedIn Jobs are great platforms to search for vacancies. “Customise your cover letter for each application, highlighting how your skills and experience match the role,”
- Prepare for Interviews: “Practice answering behavioural and situational interview questions to showcase your problem-solving and critical thinking skills,” advises Ekeh. Research the company, dress appropriately, and arrive punctually to make a positive impression.
- Consider Freelancing or Remote Work: With the rise of remote work opportunities, you can explore freelancing or remote jobs on platforms like Upwork , Freelancer and Remote.co “Build an online portfolio or create a professional website to showcase your expertise,
- Upskill Yourself: “Pursue certifications or courses that align with in-demand skills in your industry, such as data analysis, digital marketing, or project management,” advises Ekeh. This demonstrates your commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Stay Persistent and Positive: Set job search goals and track your progress. “Celebrate small wins, such as successfully completing an interview or receiving a job offer, to maintain motivation,”
By implementing these expert-backed strategies, you can increase your chances of landing your dream job in Nigeria’s competitive market. Remember, job hunting is a journey, and with persistence, positivity, and the right strategies, you can achieve your career goals.